Protecting Growing Smiles From Decay
If your child has yet to master the proper technique for brushing their teeth, you can expect their molars and premolars to be more susceptible to decay. Why? Because these are considered “hard to reach” areas, and their chewing surfaces have many nooks and crannies that can easily trap food particles and harmful bacteria. As a result, cavities can begin to form. Fortunately, at Bear Pediatric Dentistry, our team can provide a preventive service that better protects these back teeth – dental sealants! By painting a tooth-colored resin over these surfaces, food, bacteria, and plaque will be unable to penetrate the enamel, giving your child’s smile a chance to thrive and remain decay-free. To find out more about this treatment and how your child can receive dental sealants in McKinney, TX, contact us today.
Why Choose Bear Pediatric Dentistry for Dental Sealants?
- Board-Certified Pediatric Dentist Administering Treatment
- Convenient Service Offered During a Regular Checkup and Cleaning
- Safe and Effective Solution to Protect Against Tooth Decay
What Are Dental Sealants?
Whether your child is prone to cavities or they are simply unable to clean certain areas of their mouth because of novice techniques, Dr. Bear can apply dental sealants to these problem areas to avoid potential cavity formations.
Dental sealants are tooth-colored coatings made up of composite resin and applied to the chewing surfaces of your child’s molars and premolars. Consisting of various crevices, these teeth often attract all types of food and bacteria, all of which can eat away at the tooth enamel and create small holes known as cavities or “caries.”
By applying this protective coating, the grooves and pits within these back teeth will remain shielded against plaque and bacteria, keeping your child’s smile looking and feeling its best.
How Does the Process Work?
The process of applying dental sealants is quite easy. Not only does it not require an additional appointment, as it can be completed during a regular checkup and cleaning, but it is also completely painless.
Dr. Bear will begin by making sure the teeth are thoroughly cleaned and dried. After roughening the chewing surfaces of the molars and premolars, he will use a composite resin that is matched to your child’s natural tooth color to apply it to their teeth. This does require that your child remain still for him to effectively apply the solution, so if they have difficulty sitting still, it may be necessary to administer a mild form of sedation to help make the process easier and less stressful for your little one.
Within minutes, the resin will harden and create a protective barrier around the teeth.
Why Are They Beneficial?
If you’re wondering whether dental sealants are a worthwhile service, you should understand the many benefits this type of preventive care will provide to your child. Some of these include:
- Less Money Spent on Future Restorative Services: When a cavity develops, your child will likely need a tooth-colored filling or dental crown to address the problem. These restorative services require additional time and money to be spent treating your child’s smile for a problem that could be avoided with dental sealants.
- Minimize Exposure to Bacteria: Because dental sealants serve as a barrier to outside elements, it means there will be less bacterial exposure and result in a healthier smile.
- Increased Protection: If you want to help your child maintain a cavity-free smile, dental sealants are a great way to do just that! In combination with regular checkups and cleanings, good at-home oral habits, and fluoride treatments, you can set your child up for great success!
- Development of Strong Teeth: While fluoride has its own abilities to strengthen tooth enamel so do dental sealants. By applying them to your child’s back teeth, you can expect their teeth to remain strong and healthy for years to come (with proper care and maintenance).